GOD Morning! WWJD



GOD morning,






“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:


Greetings.


Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.


Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.


Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.


When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.


Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.


My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.


Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1






A few years ago, I awakened on New Year’s Day and decided to blog a daily devotion based on reading through the Bible in a year. I have missed many days, but I have continued to read the daily passage and write my thoughts.


His Word is like a beautiful vine, growing inside of me. I have become permanently entangled in the vine of God’s Word. I will never be the same. The vine is growing, spreading and taking over my mind, thoughts and emotions.


WWJD has taken on a brand new meaning in my life.


1. We are to consider it pure joy when we face trials. What? Facing trials is anything but pure joy. Trials are more like pure misery. The pain is unbearable. Whether its trial by cancer or another fatal disease, trial by a non-fatal disease that is incurable, trial by ongoing physical or heart pain, trial by the death of a loved one, or trial by a sinus infection that won’t leave, or trial by fill in the blank. And yet we are to count trials pure joy. Makes no sense at all. But, you know what? I have made up my mind to embrace this scripture like never before.


2. The testing of our faith produces perseverance.


Perseverance: continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition; the action or condition or an instance of persevering; steadfastness (Merriam Webster)


Perseverance sounds a lot like a made up mind. I am going to be joyful. Does it still hurt? Yes. It still hurts. But I have a made up mind to grab ahold of joy and not let go.


3. We are to allow perseverance to finish its work. How? By prayerfully waiting it out. Ah. It hurts. Unbearable pain. We pray. We wait. We pray. We wait. And on and on. We are like a cake that is baking. Who wants to eat a piece of cake that’s raw in the middle? We will be delicious when God’s timer goes off.


Perseverance will bring maturity. Have you noticed that age has absolutely nothing to do with maturity? I have known twelve year olds that showed incredible maturity. I have known middle aged or older folks that were shockingly immature. Okay, I will say it. There have been times that I have been amazed at my own immaturity.


4. We must ask God for wisdom. He will pour out overflowing wisdom on anyone who asks. Without looking down on them because of their faults. But be prepared for fiery trials. We gain wisdom through trials. I’m in one right now. The pain is almost unbearable. I am asking God to burn away the stuff inside me that is hindering me. I will come forth as gold. (Job 23:10)


5. We must believe. Asking without believing is completely useless. We can’t expect to receive anything from God if we are filled with doubt. Doubt is a sure way to receive absolutely nothing from God. A person filled with doubt is double-minded and unstable in all that they do. Wow. That’s real talk, straight out of God’s word.


6. When we find ourselves brought low financially, we should take pride that we are a child of the King. This is evidence that we truly trust God. Instead of the opposite. Being consumed with sorrow regret envy and despair because of our limited resources.


7. Which ties in with the next verses. Are we confused and wondering where we went wrong? Ask for wisdom from God. But no doubting is allowed. We don’t want to be that person. The one who is double-minded and unstable in all that they do.


8. Persevere. Wait it out. Hang on. Hang in there. Worship our way through. Our reward is a crown of life.


9. God does not tempt us. Our own desires tempt us. Desire gives birth to sin, and continuing in sin leads straight to death.


10. Quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. This sounds so simple. But living it is hard for some of us. Ten years ago, when I was first delivered from anxiety and depression, I had a new confidence. I was always spouting off “wisdom”. I started to struggle more with anger as well. It seemed that everything that I had been afraid to say for so many years started coming out like a flood. Which didn’t work out so well. I got myself into a lot of hot water. I had to learn how to listen without offering my opinion. Even now, I feel like I have a lot of wisdom to offer. But most of the time, folks aren’t asking for my sage advice. So I try to zip my lips. How? All of the stuff I want to say to the person to try to “straighten them out”, I say to God instead. It really works.


Here’s an example. Let’s say I am frustrated with a person. Instead of telling the person all of the reasons why I am so frustrated with them, and trying to make them understand my viewpoint, I just tell God. Everything. I don’t leave anything out. What a relief! I hand the person and my frustration to God. And I say, “God, if You want me to chat with this person, please give me an opportunity. If You don’t want me to say anything, then I won’t have an opportunity.” This really works. I simply leave the situation in God’s capable hands.


11. We must not only listen and read God’s word, but we must allow it to change us. Another tough one. We don’t want to be stubborn. The Hebrew translation of “stubborn” means “turned away, morally obstinate, rebellious, and backsliding.” God is not pleased with our stubbornness. Nope. We must have a lot of aha moments when reading God’s word. And be moldable and shapeable. We will be blessed when we allow God’s word to change us.


12. If we don’t learn to zip our lips, our religion is worthless. Period. Jesus is our perfect example. He only spoke when He had something worthwhile to say. I’m finding out that it is possible to zip my lips.


13. I have always thought the definition of pure religion was odd. Looking after widows and orphans and keeping clean. The keeping clean part is something that I totally agree with but the first part is something that I am always forgetting about. I work with children from a troubled community. Their parents are unavailable a lot because of addictions. I feel like they are the orphans in my life. I’m thinking the widows are the women in my life who are alone, not necessarily because of death, but more because of unfortunate life circumstances.


14. If we heed God’s word, we will be blessed in all that we do.






“Dear Jesus please help us to look into the mirror of Your word and be changed from the inside out. Please help us to be molded into Your image. If we really take WWJD as our life motto, we will understand that we are here on earth for one thing. To worship You in everything that we do or say. To minister to single moms, elderly widows, to speak up for orphans who have no one to speak on their behalf, and to keep ourselves unspotted from the world we live in. We need a lot of wisdom and guidance from You to help us accomplish these things. Thank You Jesus that You are right here to help us. How I love You, AMEN”






Blessings,









Vicki

Comments

Popular Posts